Friday 24 December 2010

Sydney 2003

When Stewart suggested that we wrote some retro blog entries my first instinct was to get onto cricinfo.com and check out the score card of the 2003 test match against England.  Then I sat back and thought to myself that this blog should be purely driven by my memories of that test.  The stand out moments that if I was stood next to you in a pub shouting rather to loudly into your ear after a few beers these are the moments that I'd be going on about.  Not driven by a comprehensive review of the stats, not a day to day account of the test match but a summary of stand out moments.  Things that are popping into my mind as I type on the early hours of Christmas morning while the house around me sleeps.  There's no timeline here or order.  It's my drunken conversation translated into text. The best bits.

Gilchrist

Gilchrist was an awesome player, we all know that.  But on one of days as he hurtled towards another century against England(ahhhhhhhh) we were sat side on to wicket when he hit a pull shot and the ball crashed into the advertising hoarding in front of us.  Two things that stand out was the noise of the bat hitting the ball and speed at which it reached the fence.  It was like the crack of a rifle going off.  It literally took my breath away.  I sat in shock as my brain struggled to process the power of that shout.  I marvelled at Gilchrist nonchalance, the roar of the Australian crowd, the sheer quality of the timing.  In one shot I realised that all that was said about Gilchrist was true.  He was world class.  He was awesome.  He was a threat.

Radio

After crashing some one's apartment at the harbour on New Year's eve Stewart was becoming agitated by the fact that we did not have a radio.  If we were all going to the test then we all had to listen to Test Match commentary.  Stewart had a radio, we didn't.  That wasn't good enough.  On New Years Day even as our heads were still cloudy from the previous night there was an impetuous to get into Sydney to get a radio.  We found a retailer, the name escapes me that was open and we bought a fairly rudimentary radio that would do the job.  Stewart relaxed, I relaxed, we were prepared.  D-day the next day.

Lee

In what was a fairly dismal series for England we had one bright light and that was the batting of Michael Vaughan.  Even the great mind manipulator that was Shane Warne conceded that the man had no weakness and that all the Australians could do was aim for off stump.  Vaughan was imperious in that series.  Steve Waugh described his performance with the bat as one of the all time great Ashes performances.  Who am I to disagree with Sir Steve of Waugh?

In the first innings however Brett Lee bowled a spell of such venom, such pace, such menace that in my minds eye I can see it now.  Bowling at 150 kph he swung the new ball and made Vaughan grope outside off stump like a fumbling teenager in the dark with his first girlfriend.  After beating the batting consistently with the swing ball, Lee finally induced the edge and England's pillar of strength returned to the pavilion cowed by this great athlete.  One of the best five over bursts I've ever seen.

Tommo

On the 4th day I spotted Jeff Thomson queuing for some coffee behind the old pavilion at the SCG.  Here was the man that struck fear into the hearts of the English batsman and to be honest totally intimidated me.  Here was a bona fide Australian legend who had a proven track record of disliking Poms and whose autograph I was desperate to get.  The obvious option here was to deploy my good looking wife.  I though Tommo would be a sucker for a good looking English girl so I sent her in to get Tommo's autograph.  Sure enough while he waited for his coffee he obliged.  Good man, well done Lou.

Members Only

Stewart is a member at the MCG and as such he and guests can get seats in the members area.  You have to queue early then you literally sprint in past the old boys with the walking frames up the stairs.  You find a seat then sign your name on a sticker that is allocated to your seat.  The rules are you can leave you seat for an hour and by then another member can quite rightfully take it.  At lunch on the fourth day Stewart's rather excellent and adorable wife Vicky decided that pace of test cricket was too much for her and decided to go shopping during the lunch interval.

'If you're not back in an hour then I'll have to give your seat up' said Stewart.

Vicky flashed Stewart a smile that only wives can to their husbands when they know they are joking and she walked off.

We watched her descend the steps with an amazing elegance and before she disappeared from view threw us a casual wave as she tossed her hair our of her eyes.

'Seriously, if she's not back in an hour and somebody wants to sit there I'll have to give her seat away'  said Stewart.

I nodded my approval.

'Is he serious?' said Lou, my wife.

'Oh yes' I said.

Lingering

and Lou not really wanting to leave the SCG.  It was the end of the dream and as the sun lowered over Sydney the inevitable move to the exits was painful and I wanted to linger for hours if not days.  It was a wrench to leave this hallowed ground, the history and the occasion and as we sauntered out I knew it would be a long time before I returned and despite the victory by England I grieved as we walked out onto the sidewalk.

Merry Christmas everyone, here's looking forward to the boxing day test.

No comments: